In order to truly rival competitors such as Slack, Microsoft has been stepping up its game in terms of Office integrations. And this year, 2020, they have created a new ‘add-in’ for MS Outlook which allows you to schedule MS Teams meetings directly from MS Outlook. This simple, yet handy, MS Outlook ‘add-in’ can be an excellent time-saver!
MS Outlook 'Add-In' for Scheduling MS Teams Meetings
At Orchestry, we understand that with the plethora of features and functions available from Microsoft 365 Office Suite, it can often be tricky to discern what to use within each application. All the Microsoft products have their own unique capabilities but sometimes there is a vague cross-over. We are here to help ensure there is no confusion and aim to make work simple, getting you to the right tool at the right time, for the right purpose.
In this how-to guide, we will talk you through how this new ‘add-in’ for MS Outlook works, so you can make the most of this new feature and work more efficiently in MS Teams.
How to Schedule MS Teams Meetings directly from MS Outlook
Conveniently, this particular new ‘add-in’ is automatically installed for users who have Microsoft Teams and either Office 2010, Office 2013 or Office 2016 on their computer.
Navigate to the new Teams Meeting ‘add-in’ by going to your MS Outlook. You will find this easy-to-use feature within the Calendar ribbon. By clicking on this icon you can create new MS Teams meetings directly from MS Outlook. It also allows people to view, accept, or join meetings in either app.
Note: At present, you can schedule Teams meetings from within Outlook, but you cannot choose which MS Teams channel to host them in.
So, let’s break it down:
- Open MS Outlook and go to the calendar view. Click ‘New Teams Meeting’ at the top of the view.
- Then, add your invitees to the ‘To’ field. (It’s even possible to invite contact groups, saving you time typing out everyone’s individual names.)
- Add your meeting subject, location, start time and end time, etc.
- Click Send.
You’ve just scheduled your MS Teams meeting via MS Outlook – it’s as easy as that.
This MS Teams add-on also allows you to invite people from outside your organization from within MS Outlook. All you need to do is make sure that you’ve added them as a ‘guest’ before the meeting starts, otherwise, they’ll join the meeting anonymously.
Integration Between MS Outlook and MS Teams
The integration between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Teams is set to continue. As well as scheduling meetings, according to Microsoft, the connection between the new applications also enables users to:
- Share an email to Teams – Share an email from MS Outlook, including any attachments, to a channel or chat in Teams.
- Share a conversation via email – Share a MS Teams conversation via email without leaving the app.
- Reply to missed activity emails – See the latest messages and respond to Teams missed activity emails from within Outlook.
Considerations When Using the MS Teams Meeting ‘add-in’
As this integration is relatively new, it is still building in functionality. Here are some things to be mindful of:
- Channel meetings must be arranged from within Microsoft Teams, the ‘add-in’ is for meetings with specific individuals, not for all participants in a channel.
- If an Authentication Proxy is in the network path of a user’s PC and Teams Services, the ‘add-in’ will not work.
- Users must go to MS Teams to schedule ‘live’ events. You cannot schedule Teams ‘live’ events from within MS Outlook.
It’s All about MS Teams & MS Outlook Integrations
This seems to be an exciting time for Microsoft, in terms of application integrations. The list of new features and updates appears to be going strong in the Office 365 message center. You may have thought that MS Outlook is the past and MS Teams is the future but as the innovations of both platforms are showing no signs of slowing down, soon organizations will be embracing both tools interchangeably as part of the digital workspace.
Work Smarter in MS Teams & MS Outlook With Orchestry
We hope this blog post will help you make the most of Microsoft’s new ‘add-in’ so you can easily schedule MS Teams meetings directly from MS Outlook.
At Orchestry, our mission is to make work simple in Office 365 and Microsoft Teams, by empowering your IT Administrators and employees to define a winning Microsoft 365 adoption and change management strategy that provides a roadmap of what to use when, for what purpose. Orchestry increases usage and adoption while empowering through governance and simplifies through intelligent provisioning in Microsoft 365, organization-wide at a fraction of the cost, on a subscription basis.